Official Standard Microcircuit Drawings Issued for
VPT’s SVGA Family of Rad Hard Point of Load Power Converters
BLACKSBURG, VA, July 11, 2012 – VPT Inc., a HEICO company (NYSE:HEI.A) (NYSE:HEI), announced today that the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) has issued Standard Microcircuit Drawings (SMDs) for VPT’s family of space level, radiation hardened, point of load DC-DC power converter modules.
With the SVGA Series power converters now on official DLA SMDs, engineers can procure these components quickly, easily, and with confidence of reliable performance over time in the harshest of space environments. VPT’s SVGA Series converters are available in 10A or 15A versions and are suited for use in low Earth orbit (LEO) systems, geosynchronous Earth orbit (GEO) systems, deep space probes, and other demanding space applications. With the addition of these two modules, VPT now offers more than 35 power conversion modules on DLA SMDs specifically designed for rugged duty in space.
The specific space grade SV Series DC-DC converters now available on DLA SMDs include:
- SMD# 5962-12219: SVGA 10A single output point of load DC-DC converter
- SMD# 5962-12219: SVGA 15A single output point of load DC-DC converter
“The DLA has put their stamp of approval on the reliability and radiation performance of the SVGA Series, which means that engineers can now build an entire distributed DC-DC power system with modules 100% qualified to the U.S. government MIL-PRF-38534 Class K space standards,” explained Monty Pyle, VP Sales and Marketing for VPT. “Using a combination of traditional, isolated DC-DC converters in conjunction with these smaller point of load converters reduces size and weight while increasing overall system efficiency – all of the parameters that are extremely important to spacecraft engineers.”
About the SVGA Point of Load DC-DC Converter for Space
The SVGA Series converters function as non-isolated, regulated buck DC-DC converters that step down the voltage at the point of use in a distributed power system. The performance of the SVGA Series in space systems is guaranteed by design through extensive worst case analysis, the use of hardened components, and Radiation Lot Acceptance Testing (RLAT) of semiconductor components.
- 33W (10A) and 50W (15A) output power versions
- Guaranteed TID performance to 100 krads (Si) including ELDRS, per VPT’s DLA-approved RHA plan specified per MIL-PRF-38534, Appendix G, Level R.
- SEE characterized to 85 MeV-cm2/mg with no dropouts, shutdowns, latch up or burn out
- 1.075” square for high power density — >160W/in3 – no need to sync or share multiple units
- Operates from 5V input
- Adjustable output voltage from 0.8V to 3.4V with extreme accuracy: ±1.5%
- High efficiency – up to 94%
- Characterization performed at both the component level and at the SVGA series hybrid converter level
Compliances and Certifications:
- Qualified to MIL-PRF-38534 Class H and Class K
- VPT’s Radiation Hardness Assurance (RHA) Plan certified by DLA to MIL-PRF-38534 Appendix G
- MIL-PRF-38534 element evaluated components
- MIL-STD-704A input voltage requirements
- MIL-PRF-38534 Class H and Class K facility manufacturing
- MIL-STD-883 environmental screening
- MIL-STD-461 C-F when used with an EMI filter
The radiation hardened SVGA modules are available off-the-shelf with pricing beginning at US $2,400.00 in OEM quantities. VPT’s space grade DC-DC converters are ITAR-controlled products that require an export license. Complete technical details and contact information are available at /.
About VPT and HEICO
VPT, Inc., part of the HEICO Electronic Technologies Group, leads the industry in providing innovative DC-DC power converters, EMI filters, and custom engineering services for avionics, military, and space applications. VPT can deliver its patented power solutions in a fast timeframe, with certified quality, at a comfortable cost. Every day, organizations like NASA, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Raytheon, the United States Air Force, and many more depend on quality solutions from VPT to power critical systems. Whether on the ground, in the air, or beyond, VPT provides the power driving critical missions today. For more information about VPT, please visit the web site at www.vpt-inc.com.
HEICO Corporation (NYSE:HEI-A) (NYSE:HEI) is engaged primarily in certain niche segments of the aviation, defense, space and electronics industries through its Hollywood, FL-based HEICO Aerospace Holdings Corp. subsidiary and its Miami, FL-based HEICO Electronic Technologies Corp. subsidiary. HEICO’s customers include a majority of the world’s airlines and airmotives as well as numerous defense and space contractors and military agencies worldwide in addition to medical, telecommunication and electronic equipment manufacturers. For more information about HEICO, please visit the web site at http://www.heico.com.